Privacy Notice – Outline
This Privacy Notice outlines what personal information I collect about you, how I collect it, and how it is used and stored. (A full and detailed version is to be found further down the page
Information I Collect
I may collect and process the following data about you:
- Your contact and other information you may provide when booking any appointments by email or telephone.
- Information about your personal situation, gathered for the purpose of providing the therapy services you require. This information is collected during conversation in the sessions.
- Therapy or coaching session notes. These are kept in a locked filing cabinet in an office that has a pass code entry system.
- Information from surveys that I may use for quality improvement purposes. These are voluntary and you do not have to respond to them.
How Your Data will be Used
Your data may be used for:
- Email appointment confirmations or text reminders, to help you remember your appointments.
- Accounting and billing. I do not use card readers. All financial data is exclusively handled via PayPal.
- Emailing you about changes to our service.
- Occasional newsletters and marketing promotions. This will only be applicable if you have opted in to such communications. You can also opt out at any time via an unsubscribe link in any marketing emails from us or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All therapy and coaching interactions with me are private and confidential. I ensure that:
- Electronic information is safely stored and GDPR compliant. Access to this data is accessible only by me. All electronic devices are password protected, and known only by me.
- Hand written therapy or coaching session notes. These are kept in a locked filing cabinet in an office that has a pass code entry system.
Will Your Data be Shared with Anyone?
- I will not share your data unless you request us to do so. (There may be some legal exception, please see long hand version below). I currently use the following GDPR compliant third party companies to process areas of our business.
- SmarterMail Enterprise and Email Poet for email communication and newsletter distribution, so your name and email address may be saved on their server.
- PayPal to process payments. Your details may be stored by them to show record of your payment.
- Facebook for our private members group if one is created.
How Long Will Your Data be Retained?
- Your electronic data will be stored until you opt out and request it to be removed. I do clear data is out of date and no longer required. Hand written notes have to be kept for 7 years after your last treatment.
Who is Responsible for Data Protection?
- I, Richard Wain, am responsible for data protection. If you have any concerns about how I handle your data, please contact me on. If you are not satisfied with my response, then you have the right to raise the matter with the ICO.
This is the privacy notice of Cressingham Hypnotherapy. In this document, “I”, “me”, “we”, “our”, or “us” refer to Cressingham Hypnotherapy.
- This is a notice to inform you of my policy about all information that I record about you. It sets out the conditions under which I may process any information that I collect from you, or that you provide to me. It covers information that could identify you (“personal information”) and information that could not. In the context of the law and this notice, “process” means collect, store, transfer, use or otherwise act on information.
- I regret that if there are one or more points below with which you are not happy, your only recourse is to leave our website immediately.
- I take seriously the protection of your privacy and confidentiality. I understand that all visitors to my website are entitled to know that their personal data will not be used for any purpose unintended by them, and will not accidentally fall into the hands of a third party.
- I undertake to preserve the confidentiality of all information you provide to me, and hope that you reciprocate.
- My policy complies with UK law accordingly implemented, including that required by the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
- The law requires me to tell you about your rights and our obligations to you in regards to the processing and control of your personal data. I do this now, by requesting that you read the information provided at knowyourprivacyrights.org
- Except as set out below, I do not share, or sell, or disclose to a third party, any information collected through my website.
The bases on which I process information about you
The law requires me to determine under which of six defined bases I process different categories of your personal information, and to notify you of the basis for each category.
If a basis on which I process your personal information is no longer relevant then I shall immediately stop processing your data.
If the basis changes then if required by law I shall notify you of the change and of any new basis under which we have determined that we can continue to process your information.
- Information we process because I have a contractual obligation with you
When you create an account on my website, buy a product or service from me, or otherwise agree to my terms and conditions, a contract is formed between you and I.
In order to carry out my obligations under that contract I must process the information you give me. Some of this information may be personal information.
I may use it in order to provide you with my services
I will not use it in order to:
- sell other products to you
- verify your identity for security purposes
- provide you with suggestions and advice on products, services and how to obtain the most from using our website
I process this information on the basis there is a contract between us, or that you have requested we use the information before we enter into a legal contract.
Additionally, I may aggregate this information in a general way and use it to provide class information, for example to monitor my performance with respect to a particular service I provide. If I use it for this purpose, you as an individual will not be personally identifiable.
I shall not process this information if requested not to.
- Information I process with your consent
Through certain actions when otherwise there is no contractual relationship between us, such as when you browse my website or ask me to provide you more information about my business and services, you provide your consent to me to process information that may be personal information.
Sometimes you might give your consent implicitly, such as when you send me a message by e-mail to which you would reasonably expect me to reply.
Except where you have consented to my use of your information for a specific purpose, I do not use your information in any way that would identify you personally. I may aggregate it in a general way and use it to provide class information, for example to monitor the performance of a particular page on our website.
I never pass your name and contact information to others unless I am referring you to another therapist. You will be aware of this and given your written consent.
I will continue to process your information on this basis until you withdraw your consent or it can be reasonably assumed that your consent no longer exists.
You may withdraw your consent at any time by instructing me email@example.com.
- Information I process because I have a legal obligation
I am subject to the law like everyone else. Sometimes, I must process your information in order to comply with a statutory obligation.
For example, we may be required to give information to legal authorities if they so request or if they have the proper authorisation such as a search warrant or court order.
This may include your personal information.
Specific uses of information you provide to me
- Information provided on the understanding that it will be shared with a third party
My website does not allow you to post information with a view to that information being read, copied, downloaded, or used by other people.
- posting a message our forum
- tagging an image
- clicking on an icon next to another visitor’s message to convey your agreement, disagreement or thanks
In future should this be allowed the following is fact: if posting personal information, it is up to you to satisfy yourself about the privacy level of every person who might use it.
I will store it, and I reserve a right to use it in the future in any way I decide.
Once your information enters the public domain, I have no control over what any individual third party may do with it. I accept no responsibility for their actions at any time.
Provided your request is reasonable and there is no legal basis for me to retain it, then at my discretion I may agree to your request to delete personal information that you have posted. You can make a request by contacting me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Complaints regarding content on my website
If you complain about any of the content on my website, I shall investigate your complaint.
If I feel it is justified or believe the law requires me to do so, I shall remove the content while I investigate.
Free speech is a fundamental right, so I have to make a judgment as to whose right will be obstructed: yours, or that of the person who posted the content that offends you.
If I think your complaint is vexatious or without any basis, I shall not correspond with you about it.
- Information relating to your method of payment
At the point of payment, you are transferred to a secure page on the website PayPal. No payment details are kept on my website or servers. All payment data is fully secure and safe and processed through PayPal who is fully PCI compliant.
- Sending a message to me
When you contact me, whether by telephone, through my website or by e-mail, I collect the data you have given to me in order to reply with the information you need.
I record your request and my reply in order to increase the efficiency of my business
I keep personally identifiable information associated with your message, such as your name and email address so as to be able to track our communications and provide a high quality service.
Use of information I collect through automated systems when you visit my website
Cookies are small text files that are placed on your computer’s hard drive by your web browser when you visit any website. They allow information gathered on one web page to be stored until it is needed for use on another, allowing a website to provide you with a personalised experience and the website owner with statistics about how you use the website so that it can be improved.
Some cookies may last for a defined period of time, such as one day or until you close your browser. Others last indefinitely.
Your web browser should allow you to delete any you choose. It also should allow you to prevent or limit their use.
- to track how you use my website
- to record whether you have seen specific messages displayed on my website
- to keep you signed in our site
- to record your answers to surveys and questionnaires on my site while you complete them
- Personal identifiers from your browsing activity
Requests by your web browser to my servers for web pages and other content on my website are recorded.
I may record information such as your geographical location, your Internet service provider and your IP address. I also record information about the software you are using to browse our website, such as the type of computer or device and the screen resolution.
I use this information in aggregate to assess the popularity of the webpages on my website and how I perform in providing content to you.
If combined with other information I know about you from previous visits, the data possibly could be used to identify you personally, even if you are not signed in to my website.
- Our use of re-marketing
Re-marketing involves placing a cookie on your computer when you browse our website in order to be able to serve to you an advert for our products or services when you visit some other website.
I never practice this form of marketing.
Disclosure and sharing of your information
- Information we obtain from third parties
No information is obtained from third parties via my website.
- Third party advertising on our website
There is no third parties may advertising on my website.
- Credit reference
To assist in combating fraud, I will share information with credit reference agencies, so far as it relates to clients or customers who instruct their credit card issuer to cancel payment to me without having first provided an acceptable reason to me and given me the opportunity to refund their money.
- Data may be processed outside the European Union
My website is hosted in the United Kingdom. I do not use outsource companies so there will be no data processed outside the UK
Access to your own information
- Access to your personal information
- At any time you may review or update personally identifiable information that I hold about you.
- To obtain a copy of any information that I hold you may send me a request email@example.com
- After receiving the request, I provide you with the information within 2 working days, and whether I require any fee for providing it to you. If you wish me to remove personally identifiable information from my website, e.g. a testimonial, you may contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org When I receive any request to access, edit or delete personal identifiable information I shall first take reasonable steps to verify your identity before granting you access or otherwise taking any action. This is important to safeguard your information.
- Removal of your information
If you wish me to remove personally identifiable information from my website, e.g. a testimonial, you may contact me at email@example.com
I will remove it within 2 working days.
17. Verification of your information
When I receive any request to access, edit or delete personal identifiable information I shall first take reasonable steps to verify your identity before granting you access or otherwise taking any action. This is important to safeguard your information.
- Use of site by children
- I do not sell products or provide services for purchase by children, nor do I market to children.
- If you are under 18, you may use my website only with consent from a parent or guardian
- Encryption of data sent between us
I will use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) certificates to verify my identity to your browser and to encrypt any data you give me. This may not be in operation when you read this but it is being processed to happen very shortly.
Whenever information is transferred between us, you can check that it is done so using SSL by looking for a closed padlock symbol or other trust mark in your browser’s URL bar or toolbar.
20. How you can complain
- If a dispute is not settled then I hope you will agree to attempt to resolve it by engaging in good faith with me in a process of mediation or arbitration.
- If you are in any way dissatisfied about how we process your personal information, you have a right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office. This can be done at https://ico.org.uk/concerns/
- Retention period for personal data
Except as otherwise mentioned in this privacy notice, I keep your personal information only for as long as required by me:
- to provide you with the services you have requested;
- to comply with other law, including for the period demanded by the tax authorities;
- to support a claim or defence in court.
22. Compliance with the law
However, ultimately it is your choice as to whether you wish to use my website.
I may update this privacy notice from time to time as necessary. The terms that apply to you are those posted here on our website on the day you use my website. We advise you to print a copy for your records.